Important Information for Disaster (Typhoon)
Rules and Regulations for Students
Classes and End of Term Examinations in Case of Typhoon, Disruption of Transportation, etc.
1．Suspension of Public Transportation
The classes (and end of term examinations) are cancelled if any of the following situations occurs.
- JR West (Kobe Line) is stopped for accidents or other reasons; or
- Hankyu Railways (Kobe Line) and Hanshin Railways are both stopped for accident or other reasons; or
- Kobe City Buses #16 and #36 are both stopped for accidents or other reasons.
However, the classes will be held in the following manner.
- In case that the transportation service is resumed by 6:00 am, the normal class will be held as usual.
- In case that the transportation service is resumed by 10:00 am, the normal class scheduled after 1:00 pm will be held.
- In case that the transportation service is resumed by 2:00 pm, the normal class scheduled after 5:00 pm will be held.
2．Weather Warnings Issued
- Target Area of Weather Warnings: Kobe City
When Kobe City is included in the area of the Weather Warnings, the following manner will be applied.
- Type of Weather Warnings
The classes (and term examinations) are cancelled if the Weather Warnings (Storm, Heavy snow or Snowstorm Warnings) or the Emergency Warnings are issued in Kobe City.
- Lifting of Weather Warnings
The classes will be held in the following manner.
- In case that the weather warning is lifted by 6:00 am, the normal class will be held as usual.
- In case that the weather warning is lifted by 10:00 am, the normal class scheduled after 1:00 pm will be held.
- In case that the weather warning is lifted by 2:00 pm, the normal class scheduled after 5:00 pm will be held.
3．Information of the Class Cancellation
Information of the class cancellation will be available through the GSICS bulletin board, URIBO-Net, or GSICS website, if either Suspension of Public Transportation or the Weather Warnings can be expected in advance.
- Definition of Suspension of Public Transportation: The difficult cases to reach school when trains stop or the roads are shut due to traffic accidents, weather conditions, earthquakes or any other reasons.
- Decisions based on the weather warnings are made according to the warnings issued by the Kobe Local Meteorological Office.
- Updates can be found on TV, radio or via internet. Students should check these sources to learn if a severe weather warning has been lifted.
- Special seminars or research-based classes with a small number of students could be conducted on a case-by-case basis.
Except for extraordinary cases, all communications are made by notices posted on the bulletin board, which is located on the 1st floor of the building of the GSICS. Please pay attention to this bulletin board because every kind of notice including, but not limited to, calls, announcements, notifications, information for scholarships, and invitations for part-time jobs are posted there.